logo
Search
More educated, the less you’re to hide your your sexuality  
   Forum Index -> General Discussions II
Click the image to Enter your Rating
First Page 1 2 Last Page 

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 12:58:30  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Is the more educated you are, the less likely you’re to hide your sexuality?
I know like African Americans in the hood or low-incoming environments are never ever to embrace their sexuality. That’s where the DL or the down low culture is rooted. In the poor black communities, when you think of a gay person, you think of a guy dressing like a woman or vice-versa.
The black community needs to see more positive, professional working class blacks to come out of the closet.

I have noticed if you are educated, you have no problem to admitting that you’re gay.

What are your thoughts?

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 13:00:58  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2012-09-27 12:58:30

How did you come up with that?

Just some of my natural observations - it doesn't mean i am right

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 13:02:59  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
You could be on to something. Intelligence is one way of proving to the world that we are just as good as straights if not better (in some cases) so why should a person who has the capacity to be as great a a straight person hide who they are? The world should know that gays are NOT all about sex and scandals. We can be educated professionals as well.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 13:05:55  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

You could be on to something. Intelligence is one way of proving to the world that we are just as good as straights if not better (in some cases) so why should a person who has the capacity to be as great a a straight person hide who they are? The world should know that gays are NOT all about sex and scandals. We can be educated professionals as well.

Yes. We are so used to messy fags, which gives us a bad rap or name. That's why so people won't come out of the closet.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 13:11:50  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 13:18:02  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Do believe this too be true?

Yes. And settle for someone smart and bright.
Remember: Someone mentally unstable is prone to do anything.
That can save you a lot of future heartache. I am single. I rather stay to myself then to be in a relationship with someone nuts and scared to accept themselves. Marriage or having kids will not take away their affection for men.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 13:47:28  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2012-09-27 13:05:55

Yes. We are so used to messy fags, which gives us a bad rap or name. That's why so people won't come out of the closet.

I agree.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 14:02:33  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

I know like African Americans in the hood or low-incoming environments are never ever to embrace their sexuality. That’s where the DL or the down low culture is rooted. In the poor black communities, when you think of a gay person, you think of a guy dressing like a woman or vice-versa.
The black community needs to see more positive, professional working class blacks to come out of the closet.

I have noticed if you are educated, you have no problem to admitting that you’re gay.

What are your thoughts?

2012-09-27 13:56:15

I think its the other way around. I think more educated affluent black gay men feel they have more to loose by coming out so they are more likely to be closeted in some fashion. One of the reasons messy queens act the way they do is because they have so little to loose. A black gay man can be feminine and move up in his chosen career field. We just never notice those fems because they are so unassuming. We only notice the loud ghetto ones because they have nothing to loose so why be respectful to anyone else. Same thing for super thugged out annoying black dudes. You can be black and masculine without acting foolish. If you have nothing to loose why not act foolish their are no real consequences for you. Someone needs to do a sociological study where they follow gay men who move up the social latter to see how the change the way they behave and relate to their sexual status. Chances are they will become more closeted the more affluent they become.

some great points. it's still very hard for blacks in poor cities to ever embrace themselves.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 15:33:21  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2012-09-27 14:02:13

I think it has a lot less to do with pride and more to do with consequences. The more you have the more you have to loose. Being open about your sexuality becomes much less of a priority for those who have as they become affluent. I think their is a flaw in that logic. As Anderson Cooper said, simply not acknowledging it implies you are ashamed of it. I really do think its the other way around. I noticed a long time ago that i never saw openly black gay men in the suburbs. If i went to the ghetto all of a sudden everyone was out of the closet. The masculine dudes never walked around telling everyone they were gay. Everyone knew and acknowledged that they got down. I was surprised that poor people were more out than more affluent people. When you look at being out as a liability, which most black men do, it makes more sense.

I see what you're saying but a lot of people who are gay and successful believe that they have everything they need to hold their own so who is gonna be "bad enough" to come take it from them? Money can be a form of power to some and most gay people who are educated usually get nice jobs and even make more money than most straight men (statistically speaking). Those kind of men don't pride themselves on being gay. They pride themselves on working hard and achieving their goals. They are not concerned with how people look at them because they know regardless of what lies ahead they are still going to get what they want.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 20:01:15  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

What are your thoughts?

the more education people receive, the less religious they become

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 20:07:04  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

What are your thoughts?

I think its the other way around. I think more educated affluent black gay men feel they have more to loose by coming out so they are more likely to be closeted in some fashion. One of the reasons messy queens act the way they do is because they have so little to loose. A black gay man can be feminine and move up in his chosen career field. We just never notice those fems because they are so unassuming. We only notice the loud ghetto ones because they have nothing to loose so why be respectful to anyone else. Same thing for super thugged out annoying black dudes. You can be black and masculine without acting foolish. If you have nothing to loose why not act foolish their are no real consequences for you. Someone needs to do a sociological study where they follow gay men who move up the social latter to see how the change the way they behave and relate to their sexual status. Chances are they will become more closeted the more affluent they become.

I agree there's plenty intelligent black men who are successful and aren't out because they don't want to deal with the consequences of what their sexuality might bring with work and family relationships and friends.

Post Posted: 2012-09-27 22:23:43  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2012-09-27 14:02:13

I think it has a lot less to do with pride and more to do with consequences. The more you have the more you have to loose. Being open about your sexuality becomes much less of a priority for those who have as they become affluent. I think their is a flaw in that logic. As Anderson Cooper said, simply not acknowledging it implies you are ashamed of it. I really do think its the other way around. I noticed a long time ago that i never saw openly black gay men in the suburbs. If i went to the ghetto all of a sudden everyone was out of the closet. The masculine dudes never walked around telling everyone they were gay. Everyone knew and acknowledged that they got down. I was surprised that poor people were more out than more affluent people. When you look at being out as a liability, which most black men do, it makes more sense.

2012-09-27 15:33:21

I see what you're saying but a lot of people who are gay and successful believe that they have everything they need to hold their own so who is gonna be "bad enough" to come take it from them? Money can be a form of power to some and most gay people who are educated usually get nice jobs and even make more money than most straight men (statistically speaking). Those kind of men don't pride themselves on being gay. They pride themselves on working hard and achieving their goals. They are not concerned with how people look at them because they know regardless of what lies ahead they are still going to get what they want.

2012-09-27 19:38:02

I think that's truer for white gays than black gays. Black gays have to prove that they are equal to straight white men. I don't think affluent gay black men ever feel secure enough to come out purely for their pride. White gay men are only fighting one stereotype.

I don't focus on whites or blacks. I just focus on the fact that they are gay. That's it.

Post Posted: 2012-09-28 13:02:16  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
. . . . .
. . . . .. . That's more true than not.
... Obviously being more educated will yield you a better career choice. You honestly don't see doctors being outcast for being a homosexual VS. say, a custodian or someone at the counter of McD's.
. . . ..

Post Posted: 2012-09-28 15:09:24  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

How did you come up with that?

2012-09-27 13:00:58

Just some of my natural observations - it doesn't mean i am right

2012-09-28 13:17:52

you are right though.

thank u

Post Posted: 2012-10-06 17:57:02  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I respectfully disagree. I have always said a black man can be anything but gay, with that being said as men of color we face more of a stigma coming out as oppose to other races. I believe that although we are in 2012 it's still hard to be a black man in America, add being gay to that and that's another barrier we have to face. Everything associated with being black is negative highest unemployment rate,highest rate of hiv + cases, most uneducated, then add in random ridiculousness and it never ends. Speaking for me I don't readily admit my sexual orientation because I don't want to become the token gay,In addition the image of the gay man is an overly effeminate man dipping, and popping and not a strong black man in a suit and tie working in corporate America. I believe there are highly educated men of color who are gay but don't want to be pigeonholed to that stereotype,all it takes is 1 excuse my language but "faggot" to set strong men back to that stereotype.

Post Posted: 2012-10-06 18:21:51  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

What are your thoughts?

2012-09-27 14:02:33

some great points. it's still very hard for blacks in poor cities to ever embrace themselves.

I believe you are looking at this in a very narrow view. You seem to only base your assumptions from poor black communities. You should broaden your view from just poor blacks to middle class blacks and well to do blacks. I'd even say break the racial barrier and just look at reasons gays in general regardless of race remain closeted or come out. I think if you view this objectively you will find education doesn't play as big of a role in why people are closeted so much as religion, family/friends, career, or simply maintaining the status quo. People of varied IQ points and/or education levels are closeted for a number of different reasons.

Post Posted: 2012-10-07 03:56:04  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Omg... this is like one of them gay intervention questions when everybody wants to know your business or when your out ex wanted everybody to know y'all was fu+*ing.

This has nothing to do with education or intelligence its a social issue. That's like saying your so smart tell everybody how you like your sex. (Smh) even some straight ppl are sexually private... everybody can't handle hearing the truth, not telling it!

Post Posted: 2016-12-20 14:19:39  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Post Posted: 2016-12-20 14:29:55  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
It's all about education. The less uneducated Straight Bigots surrounding you, the more likely you are to come out.

Post Posted: 2016-12-20 18:40:34  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
hmmm

Post Posted: 2017-06-07 19:55:49  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Post Posted: 2017-06-07 21:47:11  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
That sounds about right to some extent. Options for SGL black men and boys needs to change. That is why I am openly gay, educated, masculine and live in the hood.

Our image will change if we change it.

Post Posted: 2017-06-08 04:03:29  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

What are your thoughts?

Yeah I find this to be true. Probably cause there's some people out there that they'll be stereotyped and treated differently due to some bad generalizations or something. I know a few gay men, black ones, who are high up in the education game that are hella lowkey.

Post Posted: 2018-02-11 15:10:56  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

What are your thoughts?

2017-06-08 04:03:29

Yeah I find this to be true. Probably cause there's some people out there that they'll be stereotyped and treated differently due to some bad generalizations or something. I know a few gay men, black ones, who are high up in the education game that are hella lowkey.

Many low income lesser educated homos tend to be very tasteless and tacky about their shit...therefore behave very inappropriately. I'm old and experienced enough to speak on this! Unless one is in the entertainment industry, there's no need to make a public spectacle of one's self/sexuality in the manners many homos are well noted in doing.

It's not about hiding in fear for most. Many homo can kick any half a dozen folks asses at the same time.

When you are more exposed to better ways of life, some folks opt to live better!

Post Posted: 2018-02-12 08:16:30  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

What are your thoughts?

2017-06-08 04:03:29

2018-02-11 15:10:56

Many low income lesser educated homos tend to be very tasteless and tacky about their shit...therefore behave very inappropriately. I'm old and experienced enough to speak on this! Unless one is in the entertainment industry, there's no need to make a public spectacle of one's self/sexuality in the manners many homos are well noted in doing.

It's not about hiding in fear for most. Many homo can kick any half a dozen folks asses at the same time.

When you are more exposed to better ways of life, some folks opt to live better!

That's definitely true. If I get asked about my sexuality, I'm pretty open about it. I too know many gay men that can fuck some shit up and have a mf'er looking all types of crazy haha. We're criminally underestimated. Older people tend to have a lot more wisdom about this gay shit which is a plus.
First Page 1 2 Last Page 

Forum Index -> General Discussions II All times are GMT

Page 1 of 2
Watch this topic for replies

Jump to:   

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Change Online Status: Status Update: