logo
Search
Anybody Else Waiting for Student Loan Forgiveness?  
   Forum Index ->
Click the image to Enter your Rating
First Page 1 Last Page 

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 11:29:27  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Not looking too good at this point. Maybe if the Dems get control of the Senate...

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 11:37:46  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
It isn't going to happen. People could pay off their loans within 5-10 years (depending on the cost of the degree), if they applied themselves, and if they didn't throw money away on stuff to impress others. If you gained an education with that loan, you have a moral obligation to pay it back.

To me, a student loan is equivalent to one's morgage/rent/lease. Nothing in life is free, and we shouldn't expect to go through life getting things for free or at the expense of other Americans who has and always will pay their way in society.

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 12:07:06  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I want my damn money back for paying mine off before they were forgiven (if they are forgiven)..Smile

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 12:09:51  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2020-11-28 11:29:27

It isn't going to happen. People could pay off their loans within 5-10 years (depending on the cost of the degree), if they applied themselves, and if they didn't throw money away on stuff to impress others. If you gained an education with that loan, you have a moral obligation to pay it back.

To me, a student loan is equivalent to one's morgage/rent/lease. Nothing in life is free, and we shouldn't expect to go through life getting things for free or at the expense of other Americans who has and always will pay their way in society.

Higher education is practically free in Europe. It is thought of as a societal investment. I went to law school in Holland, as a foreigner, and didn't need to borrow a dime. America is a capitalist society. I believe education is something the government should cover for those who cannot afford it. For families struggling to pay rent, buy food, and keep clothes on their kids backs, if their kids are smart and promising, poor kids should be able to go to college if they want. Higher education should not be an option only for the middle and upper class.

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 12:15:22  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

How would that work tho....what about the ppl who are enrolled in college rn or the ppl who will be in the future? Will they not have to pay to go?

I think they were considering paying the private loans, but only up to 10k or 25k. Private higher education is here to stay; so that is not the plan. Unfortunately the provisions for even modest student loan forgiveness were stripped from the pandemic stimulus package. The best we can hope for right now is to extend the moratorium on repayment and interest accrual past January 2021.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markkantrowitz/2020/11/26/house-introduces-legislation-to-extend-student-loan-payment-pause-and-interest-waiver/?sh=37e08af73266

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 12:20:56  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

I want my damn money back for paying mine off before they were forgiven (if they are forgiven)..Smile

That is why I am not paying on my student loans as long as they have this moratorium going. But from what I read, all the student forgiveness bills which are collecting dust in the Republican Senate (thanks Mitch, you prick) were needs-based. So you and I will probably not get any loans forgiven in any event. Umma keep waiting though, at least until the moratoria are over.

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 12:24:58  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

How would that work tho....what about the ppl who are enrolled in college rn or the ppl who will be in the future? Will they not have to pay to go?

2020-11-28 12:15:22

I think they were considering paying the private loans, but only up to 10k or 25k. Private higher education is here to stay; so that is not the plan. Unfortunately the provisions for even modest student loan forgiveness were stripped from the pandemic stimulus package. The best we can hope for right now is to extend the moratorium on repayment and interest accrual past January 2021.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markkantrowitz/2020/11/26/house-introduces-legislation-to-extend-student-loan-payment-pause-and-interest-waiver/?sh=37e08af73266

2020-11-28 12:20:43

I’m not holding my breath.

90% of student loans are federal, not private. Typical politician BS, say something to get votes, but actually be meaningless even if they do act. Politics in America is mostly a con it seems as I get older.

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 22:38:59  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
THEY NEED TO START AT THOSE SHIT "TECH SCHOOLS" THAT DONT TEACH SHIT NOR IS ACCREDITED

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 23:02:35  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

THEY NEED TO START AT THOSE SHIT "TECH SCHOOLS" THAT DONT TEACH SHIT NOR IS ACCREDITED

It sounds like they need to close those down, and make them refund students' money.

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 23:05:35  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

They know no one is able to pay back at this time

Post Posted: 2020-11-28 23:37:39  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

It makes absolutely no sense to talk about morals in a society that places a price tag on education and self improvement.

Post Posted: 2020-11-29 18:17:47  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Legislatively, it's not going to happen. But apparently there is a theory that Biden can forgive a certain amount per borrower under existing law. Granted, any such effort is likely to be challenged in court, and who knows how the courts will ultimately rule on the matter.

As for what I think of the matter? Honestly, I don't support it primarily because it won't solve the underlying problem of people choosing to attend massively expensive schools that they cannot afford, when they could have easily chosen to attend a state school for significantly less money. It's one thing if you're taking out big bucks to attend a top rated university or to attend a program (such as nursing, medicine, engineering, etc.) where the odds of you obtaining a high paying job are very, very good. But many are not doing that and, instead, are financing the the bulk of their education at no-name, crappy schools that will not be a good return on investment.

Then there is the issue of fairness, but that's less of a problem to me as no law or policy is fair to everyone.

Post Posted: 2020-11-29 18:35:43  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Legislatively, it's not going to happen. But apparently there is a theory that Biden can forgive a certain amount per borrower under existing law. Granted, any such effort is likely to be challenged in court, and who knows how the courts will ultimately rule on the matter.

As for what I think of the matter? Honestly, I don't support it primarily because it won't solve the underlying problem of people choosing to attend massively expensive schools that they cannot afford, when they could have easily chosen to attend a state school for significantly less money. It's one thing if you're taking out big bucks to attend a top rated university or to attend a program (such as nursing, medicine, engineering, etc.) where the odds of you obtaining a high paying job are very, very good. But many are not doing that and, instead, are financing the the bulk of their education at no-name, crappy schools that will not be a good return on investment.

Then there is the issue of fairness, but that's less of a problem to me as no law or policy is fair to everyone.

Umma wait and see what happens. I am too cheap to risk a possible opportunity to save 10 or 20k. That would just make my day!

Post Posted: 2020-11-29 18:55:16  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2020-11-29 18:35:43

Umma wait and see what happens. I am too cheap to risk a possible opportunity to save 10 or 20k. That would just make my day!

Don't get me wrong now. If this happens, I will be happy for those who benefit from the forgiveness, even if I am against the forgiveness on principle. I can be against something but still acknowledge people who do support something if the something ultimately comes into fruition.

Post Posted: 2020-11-29 19:15:01  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

I agree with you on this to an extent. I don't think everyone is entitled to a free ride at Yale, but there is no reason why a quality affordable secondary education can't be attainable for everyone in America who wants one and puts in the work. In this age, everyone of working age is going to need to be highly skilled in an in-demand field in order to be able to live a good life and contribute to the economy and society in a positive way. Having a highly skilled, educated population is something that will benefit us all, so that is an investment we can't afford to not be able to afford.

Those with means will always have access to anywhere their money will take them, but what about the little black boy or girl in the projects that has the ability and potential to be a chemical engineer, and can be successful in a top tier school, but is lacking the funds to be educated? There is too much wealth in America to be killing that kind of talent because they don't have the money. They can work their way through school, but being saddled with tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt should not be a thing. Having a high quality education in the richest nation on earth shouldn't be dependent on how wealthy you are, and it really doesn't have to be.

Post Posted: 2020-12-10 00:13:39  

Track Thumbs Up/Down

2020-11-28 23:02:35

It sounds like they need to close those down, and make them refund students' money.

starting with me....

Post Posted: 2020-12-10 07:14:40  

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I am looking for 100% and I will be there right now so far I am at70%
First Page 1 Last Page 

Forum Index -> All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1
Watch this topic for replies

Jump to:   

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum