logo
Search
Foreign Words That Express Something & English Has No Equal  
   Forum Index ->
Click the image to Enter your Rating
First Page 1 Last Page 

Post Posted: 14 days ago 

Track Thumbs Up/Down
This a place to share your inability to say something using the English language, but for which another language you are familiar with does. Like I have been told the Eskimos have like 50 different words for ICE, and some of those words convey more than the simple idea of water being in it solid state.

My word for today comes from the German language and is

Lebensmüde - Literally it is a compound word, LIFE and TIRED - its closest English equivalent is possibly, would be suicidal. But a better translation would be the state of being tired of life. It is a subtle difference, but an important one. I sometimes feel tired of life, bored to no end, but not quite suicidal, or ready to end it all.

Does anyone else know a word from another language for which English has no equal, and which comes to mind when you feel a particular way, and that foreign word springs to mind, and no English word will do?

Please share that foreign word, your understanding of the word, and a corresponding image if you can find one in this thread.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I can't think of any right now, but when I was a child, my siblings and I made up our own language. We understood each other, then some of our cousins joined in the fun just to find out years later that our mothers did the same thing when they were our age, so we spoke that language and my mom understood everything and told us that her and her sisters did the same thing. #Truestory

Track Thumbs Up/Down

14 days ago

I can't think of any right now, but when I was a child, my siblings and I made up our own language. We understood each other, then some of our cousins joined in the fun just to find out years later that our mothers did the same thing when they were our age, so we spoke that language and my mom understood everything and told us that her and her sisters did the same thing. #Truestory

I believe that. I lived in Europe for years, and my youngest brother was growing up in the hood. Whenever I came home (rarely) he would speak hood, and I had no clue what he was saying. It was quite annoying, but I just ignored him as usual. Lol.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Welt·schmerz
/ˈveltˌSHmerts/
noun
a feeling of melancholy and world-weariness. Literal translation "world-pain."

Germans stay hooking up some compound words for your ass!

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Nervios in Spanish. People seem to use it when you're clumsy, sometimes when you're upset, sometimes when you're a crackhead, sometimes when you're bipolar, sometimes when you're anxious. Not entirely sure what it means but you know when you see it.
First Page 1 Last Page 

Forum Index -> All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1
Watch this topic for replies

Jump to:   

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Change Online Status: Status Update: