logo
Search
What completes YOU?  
   Forum Index ->
Click the image to Enter your Rating
First Page 1 Last Page 

Post Posted: 8 days ago 

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I had an interesting life growing up (we weren't "poor" and had it better than most, but we did live paycheck to paycheck and often shopped at secondhand stores, etc.).

While I'd consider my parents to be middle class (even if working middle class)--they earn low six figures, but live in NYC and had to raise six children/pay mortgage/etc.--and appreciate all that they did for us, I always wanted to improve on their situation once I branched out.

So I pushed myself in high school with the goal of attending an Ivy League school for college (which I did), fought my way through law school and bar exam stuff, bought my first property at 27, and comfortably earn six figures today (earning more than my parents) and do not really want for anything. Yet, I feel that there is a big void in my life. I have a solid group of friends and what not and have been involved in the dating scene, but something still feels like its missing from my life.

It could be a desire to truly settle down/raise a family. Or perhaps I'm just missing friends and family on the east coast (I live in the middle of the pacific ocean).

Anybody else feel a similar way?

Sry for rant. I just felt the need to blow off some steam.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I think leaving Hawaii and coming back onto the mainland would be great for you as far as rounding out proximity to those who love and care for you. That's what's missing. I just hope that you aren't implying that you need a partner to complete you. You should be complete and 100% before you enter a relationship, ideally with someone else who is complete and 100%. Never walk into a partnership with a glass half empty.

I'm currently in a Ph.D program so there's just a lot of angst around what I'm missing academically/professionally, though I am actively working towards it. Otherwise, I feel pretty complete. I have a passion, a career track, peace of mind, loving family, supportive friends, stability and savings.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

I think leaving Hawaii and coming back onto the mainland would be great for you as far as rounding out proximity to those who love and care for you. That's what's missing. I just hope that you aren't implying that you need a partner to complete you. You should be complete and 100% before you enter a relationship, ideally with someone else who is complete and 100%. Never walk into a partnership with a glass half empty.

I'm currently in a Ph.D program so there's just a lot of angst around what I'm missing academically/professionally, though I am actively working towards it. Otherwise, I feel pretty complete. I have a passion, a career track, peace of mind, loving family, supportive friends, stability and savings.

You may be right, man. I think being this far away from what I know best is taking a toll in its own way.

Also, I'm not sure if I believe that I need a partner to feel complete, but I do want someone to share myself with spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc.; I'm long done with the hookup game. Whatever form that will eventually take, I'm not sure.

Big ups on your Ph.D program, though. I love to see people doing great things for themselves/working to improve their communities/etc.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

You may be right, man. I think being this far away from what I know best is taking a toll in its own way.

Also, I'm not sure if I believe that I need a partner to feel complete, but I do want someone to share myself with spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc.; I'm long done with the hookup game. Whatever form that will eventually take, I'm not sure.

Big ups on your Ph.D program, though. I love to see people doing great things for themselves/working to improve their communities/etc.

Thanks man.

So what are you going to do about this? Next steps?

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

8 days ago

Thanks man.

Well, I'm starting to plan for my eventual move back to the mainland, even though this won't be before sometime in 2019.

I'm also making plans to take some vacation time back to the east coast around the Thanksgiving holiday period. While this would only be a temporary "fix," I think the boost that I'd get from being around longtime friends and family will do me a lot of good.

As to finding someone to share myself with in other ways, I honestly don't have a "good" plan on that one. I'm the sort of guy that takes things day by day and believe that you'll find the right person when you're meant to. Doesn't make things any easier, though!

I see that you're talking to someone, though. How's that going?

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

I had an interesting life growing up (we weren't "poor" and had it better than most, but we did live paycheck to paycheck and often shopped at secondhand stores, etc.).

While I'd consider my parents to be middle class (even if working middle class)--they earn low six figures, but live in NYC and had to raise six children/pay mortgage/etc.--and appreciate all that they did for us, I always wanted to improve on their situation once I branched out.

So I pushed myself in high school with the goal of attending an Ivy League school for college (which I did), fought my way through law school and bar exam stuff, bought my first property at 27, and comfortably earn six figures today (earning more than my parents) and do not really want for anything. Yet, I feel that there is a big void in my life. I have a solid group of friends and what not and have been involved in the dating scene, but something still feels like its missing from my life.

It could be a desire to truly settle down/raise a family. Or perhaps I'm just missing friends and family on the east coast (I live in the middle of the pacific ocean).

I'm soooooooooooo...Glad that you spoke out about this.

In America it seems as though we are taught to put values on things that are not really that "valuable". "CAPITALISM" for instance. I think that "mindset" sucks, and to capitalize off others is probably the worst mindset one could develop.

You started off the conversation speaking about "money"...why?

Not ...Love
Not...Friendships
Not...Career Aspirations

but "money"...how much your parents made, how much you make?

When I first read your thread question, that never came to mind.

What my parents make, what I make?

Maybe I'm fortunate to have never thought success was about "dollars and cents"...

For me it was always about "successful relationships"...building and creating something significant!

Whether it is about a "family" or a "business"...or an "ideology".

I want to make my mark and leave something behind that is "significant" to my "journey" here on Earth.

I want to be like ...GEORGE BAILEY..."It's A Wonderful Life".

I want my ..LIFE TO MATTER...I WANT TO BE "MISSED"...AND I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

AND I THINK THIS DEFINES "SUCCESS" FOR ME.

NOT "IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS"
NOT "1000'S IN A BANK ACCOUNT"
NOT "FANCY CLOTHES OR CARS"
NOT "BIG HOUSES"

BUT THE TRUE ..."ARTISTRY OF LIFE"....I WANT TO MAKE IT "MEAN SOMETHING"...I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW I'VE BEEN HERE!

THROUGH ...LOVE, CREATIONS, CHARITY, AND ACHIEVEMENTS.

I YEARN TO MAKE MY 'MARK".

P.S.

FROM WHAT YOU SHARED I THINK YOU HAVE ALL THE "TOOLS/TALENTS"...NOW IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO

"MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE".

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

In America it seems as though we are taught to put values on things that are not really that "valuable". "CAPITALISM" for instance. I think that "mindset" sucks, and to capitalize off others is probably the worst mindset one could develop.

Not ...Love
Not...Friendships
Not...Career Aspirations

Maybe I'm fortunate to have never thought success was about "dollars and cents"...

For me it was always about "successful relationships"...building and creating something significant!

I want to make my mark and leave something behind that is "significant" to my "journey" here on Earth.

I want my ..LIFE TO MATTER...I WANT TO BE "MISSED"...AND I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

NOT "IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS"
NOT "BIG HOUSES"

BUT THE TRUE ..."ARTISTRY OF LIFE"....I WANT TO MAKE IT "MEAN SOMETHING"...I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW I'VE BEEN HERE!

P.S.

FROM WHAT YOU SHARED I THINK YOU HAVE ALL THE "TOOLS/TALENTS"...NOW IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO

"MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE".

I appreciate your response man and don't disagree with you entirely.

While I'd like to leave my mark in my own way and continue helping others help themselves, I also acknowledge that such things aren't free/cheap/easy and that having a certain level of education/networking (which may come easier through certain schools, etc.)/wealth can make such achievements easier to come by.

Still, I think I brought up those points to say that, even with all of the material things that many may feel will make them complete, I am do not feel that way and, instead, believe that it'll take something else to get the job done.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

Not ...Love
Not...Friendships
Not...Career Aspirations

NOT "IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS"
NOT "BIG HOUSES"

P.S.

"MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE".

BUT THE TRUE ...\"ARTISTRY OF LIFE\"....I WANT TO MAKE IT \"MEAN SOMETHING\"...I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW I\'VE BEEN HERE!

I YEARN TO MAKE MY \'MARK\".
Very true...I like this! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

Not ...Love
Not...Friendships
Not...Career Aspirations

NOT "IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS"
NOT "BIG HOUSES"

P.S.

"MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE".

8 days ago

BUT THE TRUE ...\"ARTISTRY OF LIFE\"....I WANT TO MAKE IT \"MEAN SOMETHING\"...I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW I\'VE BEEN HERE!

I YEARN TO MAKE MY \'MARK\".
Very true...I like this! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Track Thumbs Up/Down
You need Jesus.

or Allah, or Buddha, or something otherworldly, something spiritual and ascendant.

Everything you spoke of, that you have, seems earthly and finite. How are you feeding your soul?

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

Not ...Love
Not...Friendships
Not...Career Aspirations

NOT "IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS"
NOT "BIG HOUSES"

P.S.

"MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE".

8 days ago

I appreciate your response man and don't disagree with you entirely.

While I'd like to leave my mark in my own way and continue helping others help themselves, I also acknowledge that such things aren't free/cheap/easy and that having a certain level of education/networking (which may come easier through certain schools, etc.)/wealth can make such achievements easier to come by.

Still, I think I brought up those points to say that, even with all of the material things that many may feel will make them complete, I am do not feel that way and, instead, believe that it'll take something else to get the job done.

Yes we are "here for a reason"...

Our journey is to find out what that is?

I believe you've been "taught" that success is about those things, however as your "EVOLVE"...into your "manhood"...You are learning you may have been mislead.

THIS IS A GOOD THING...Let that take you where you need to go!

The ..JOURNEY...Is just beginning!

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

8 days ago

Thanks man.

8 days ago

Well, I'm starting to plan for my eventual move back to the mainland, even though this won't be before sometime in 2019.

I'm also making plans to take some vacation time back to the east coast around the Thanksgiving holiday period. While this would only be a temporary "fix," I think the boost that I'd get from being around longtime friends and family will do me a lot of good.

As to finding someone to share myself with in other ways, I honestly don't have a "good" plan on that one. I'm the sort of guy that takes things day by day and believe that you'll find the right person when you're meant to. Doesn't make things any easier, though!

Perhaps moving back to the mainland will help you find someone to be with longterm.

But we're good. In a bit of a long distance situation, which I never saw myself doing. We have rules in place and goals in mind to reunite within the next year. We'll see what happens from there.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

8 days ago

Thanks man.

8 days ago

8 days ago

Perhaps moving back to the mainland will help you find someone to be with longterm.

But we're good. In a bit of a long distance situation, which I never saw myself doing. We have rules in place and goals in mind to reunite within the next year. We'll see what happens from there.

That's great man. You're braver than me, but you clearly trust this guy, which is important. Here's to the best for you two.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I think a connection with the infinite and timeless is what many of us yearn for. The ground beneath our feet is constantly shifting, unlike when your grandparents were alive. With the Internet and flight, the world has become small, and our place in it has become uncertain. Perhaps going home is one way to connect, but having a personal and certain spiritual connection works for me now that I am growing old. The connection does not have to be religious in the traditional sense, even quiet meditation, and finding that part of myself that is infinite and timeless is the same as having a personal connection with God. For some people their god is money, for others it is drugs, for others religion. Personally I believe in God, but not so much in religion any more. I still have a spiritual place to go when things are lonely, and I feel empty or disconnected. I still feel the sense of un-wholeness I think we all feel, but mostly the emptiness has become like an old familiar friend with time.

From a religious perspective, the loss is explained as being outside Gods presence, until we are finally reunited with Him in heaven, after this life. In the meantime we each must find our own way to lessen that emptiness. Sex, drugs, alcohol, and marriage work to varying degrees. Marriage, in the sense of a strong, spiritual, and physical connection to another human being based on a promise of lifelong commitment is probably as close as we can come to finding a real connection in life. Traditional marriage usually results in children, who are an extension of ourselves, who usually survive us creating a blood connection with earthly life, even as we move on in death.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

8 days ago

8 days ago

Not ...Love
Not...Friendships
Not...Career Aspirations

NOT "IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS"
NOT "BIG HOUSES"

P.S.

"MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE".

Right On!

One being grateful of actually being alive and able to help someone else in need of self realization and actualization also helps when most of the more common pit falls of life are thwarted and never achieved...such as remaining homeless, not having a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of and in a constant state of bad physical and mental health... like so many queens on this site.

Even if one has very little, if he's more than willing to share what he has for the greater good and successfully, he's doing or has done very well! There should be no huge egos nor a sense of failure to pop into one's head.

Just when you think that nobody's paying attention, watching any and everything that you do or did, there's ALWAYS someone out there who is and taking note and utilizing your experiences, wisdom and kind heart to better himself and hopefully others as well!

The toxic and infectious mindset of a few nameless members of this forum should set the bar in finding one's BETTER inner self and doing better towards man kind. We can lose focus, but as long as one finds his way back on track, that in itself should be ever so gratifying and big sense of accomplishment.
First Page 1 Last Page 

Forum Index -> All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1
Watch this topic for replies

Jump to:   

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Change Online Status: Status Update: