logo
Search
What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love. Dionne Warwick  
   Forum Index ->
Click the image to Enter your Rating
First Page 1 Last Page 

Post Posted: 3 days ago 

Track Thumbs Up/Down
If I was born 25 or 30 years before my actual birth, Dionne Warwick would have been my fave growing up in the 60's.

After yesterday's tragic event in Charlottesville, VA is there more appropriate time for these lyrics & this angelic voice of this healing song.

Post Posted: 2 days ago 

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I was 4 when that came out. My parents must have been divorcing around that time.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

I was 4 when that came out. My parents must have been divorcing around that time.

I hear ya. This song is at least 50 years old.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Lyrics by Hal David
Music by Burt Bacharach

What the world needs now is love sweet love,
It's the only thing that there's just too little of.
No not just for some but for everyone.

Lord we don't need another mountain,
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb,
There are oceans and rivers enough to cross
Enough to last until the end of time

It's the only thing that theres just too little of,
No not just for some but for everyone

Lord, we dont need another meadow,
There are corn fields and wheat fields enough to grow,
There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine,
Oh listen Lord, if you want to know

It's the only thing that theres just too little of.
No not just for some, oh but just for every every everyone.

what the world (whoa whoa) needs now,
Is love (is love) sweet love
What the world ( oh oh) needs now
What the world (whoa whoa) needs now

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

If you like it so much, you could give the 2 writers some love. I mean she did originally turn it down, and changed her mind after someone else sang it.

^Buffy

Track Thumbs Up/Down

Came out in '65....Dionne didn't want it. Even the melody writer(Burt Bacharach) didn't trust his own baby. I guess the above singer loved it.

^Buffy

Track Thumbs Up/Down
That's a wonderful song! Dionne Warwick will always have a special place in my heart for her hits!

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

If you like it so much, you could give the 2 writers some love. I mean she did originally turn it down, and changed her mind after someone else sang it.

Burt Bachurach? The white guy playing the Piano? He wrote a lot of songs of that era for soul artist, I'm not sure if he was connected to Motown.

I was gonna mention his name in the title, but too many characters.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

Came out in '65....Dionne didn't want it. Even the melody writer(Burt Bacharach) didn't trust his own baby. I guess the above singer loved it.

I recognize that name, did she have another hit, w/o me googling her name.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

Lyrics by Hal David
Music by Burt Bacharach

It's the only thing that there's just too little of.
No not just for some but for everyone.

Lord we don't need another mountain,
There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb,
There are oceans and rivers enough to cross
Enough to last until the end of time

It's the only thing that theres just too little of,
No not just for some but for everyone

Lord, we dont need another meadow,
There are corn fields and wheat fields enough to grow,
There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine,
Oh listen Lord, if you want to know

It's the only thing that theres just too little of.
No not just for some, oh but just for every every everyone.

what the world (whoa whoa) needs now,
What the world ( oh oh) needs now
What the world (whoa whoa) needs now

Thanx for the info, I'm glad I put u onto something with that who sampled website. There is some hope for BGC forums, when we both put each other onto some new information on the same day.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

Burt Bachurach? The white guy playing the Piano? He wrote a lot of songs of that era for soul artist, I'm not sure if he was connected to Motown.

I was gonna mention his name in the title, but too many characters.

Lyrics by Hal David

Music by Burt Bacharach

Burt Bacharach was (still is alive, on fumes) a great songwriter, and producer.

These people would be surprised how many of their beloved songs were written by this artist. Almost all Dionne's hits.

^^ Burt Bacharach/ Hal David

^Buffy

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Luther's Version was much better to me...

But then again they are completely different interpretations in production..

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

Yes "put a little love in your heart"

Pretty Cheesy , but somehow it did well.

^Buffy

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

I didn't think Dionne was the original version of that song, but a friend posted it on FB after what happen yesterday, & I just walked rite into it thinking DW was the original. She was a natural. So I didn't challenge it, since I enjoyed it so much.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
sadly in our culture love has taken second tier to attention. nobody wants to love anymore, or even to be loved, they just want attention. Sad

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

I didn't think Dionne was the original version of that song, but a friend posted it on FB after what happen yesterday, & I just walked rite into it thinking DW was the original. She was a natural. So I didn't challenge it, since I enjoyed it so much.

During that era, it was common for multiple artist to cover the same song. Often times a cover would surpass the original in recognition and popularity. Whaddayaknow, you just inspired a new thread..Smile

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

During that era, it was common for multiple artist to cover the same song. Often times a cover would surpass the original in recognition and popularity. Whaddayaknow, you just inspired a new thread..Smile

Oh yeah, I can think of a million songs like that were covered immediately after initial success. Like the song "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely".

The Original version was by Ronnie Dyson, a year later Main Ingredient recorded the most popular version to this day, and then a year after that Blue Magic put some Philadelphia soul to those lyrics.

Original Version:

The Cover (Most popular version):

The Remake (Philadelphia style):

My personal favorite is Blue Magic's version.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I was young then too and the funny thing is today I awaken to a white woman singing this very song. you know she is the Aunt of Whitney Houston. I am astonished a young man such as you had the same song in mind today. You are cool as Ice I love to see young people with wisdom.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

I was young then too and the funny thing is today I awaken to a white woman singing this very song. you know she is the Aunt of Whitney Houston. I am astonished a young man such as you had the same song in mind today. You are cool as Ice I love to see young people with wisdom.

I appreciate that.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

Luther's Version was much better to me...

But then again they are completely different interpretations in production..

Seriously, I didn't know Luther did a cover of this song. It's a remake, because of what u said it's a different production than the original. I'll stick with the original on this.

Luther obviously of could have covered it the original way, but he wanted to put his own touch on it. It's a worthy remake tho.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

I would say (over time) DIONNE'S recorded version is probably the one people probably have heard more. Lot of singers have recorded a version. It is funny that she originally turned it down, and Burt Bacharach didn't have enough confidence in the song (didn't really want to show it to Deshannon.)

^Buffy

Post Posted: 1 days ago 

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

2 days ago

Oh yeah, I can think of a million songs like that were covered immediately after initial success. Like the song "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely".

The Original version was by Ronnie Dyson, a year later Main Ingredient recorded the most popular version to this day, and then a year after that Blue Magic put some Philadelphia soul to those lyrics.

Original Version:

The Cover (Most popular version):

The Remake (Philadelphia style):

My personal favorite is Blue Magic's version.

Wow! I Don't think I have ever heard the original or the Blue Magic cover. Songwriting was so clean, poetic and accessible once upon a time. And they stand the test of time. Different styles of artists could take a song like this and make it their own. And they would all be credible. Nowadays the writing is so blunt and narcissistic, a song runs its course on the radio for a few weeks and then its forgotten when the next "hit" of the hour comes along..Smile

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

If I was born 25 or 30 years before my actual birth, Dionne Warwick would have been my fave growing up in the 60's.

After yesterday's tragic event in Charlottesville, VA is there more appropriate time for these lyrics & this angelic voice of this healing song.

UMM...ITS STILL OK TO LIKE HER NOW...

Track Thumbs Up/Down

3 days ago

1 days ago

UMM...ITS STILL OK TO LIKE HER NOW...

Yeah, true. But she better not to get me to call any of her psychic friends for money. Laughing
First Page 1 Last Page 

Forum Index -> All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1
Stop watching this topic

Jump to:   

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

Change Online Status: Status Update: