logo
Search
is the NAACP still relevant? they're tryna come back  
   Forum Index ->
Click the image to Enter your Rating
First Page 1 Last Page 

Post Posted: 7 days ago 

Track Thumbs Up/Down
i've long thought they've outlived their purpose and have been impotent for some years, especially dropping the ball on homos of color whose plight and dire social, medical and political needs have largely been ignored even though it's clearly one of if not THE civil rights issues of modern times.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/19/529169100/naacp-is-looking-for-new-president-retooling-entire-organization

The NAACP, America's oldest civil rights group, is replacing its president, Cornell William Brooks, and planning a "transformational retooling," according to the group's board of directors.

Brooks, who has been the president of the NAACP for three years, will not be retained once his contract is up at the end of June, the chairman and vice chair of the board of directors say.

The NAACP says the change is part of "an organization-wide refresh."

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Is that a soul food restaurant

Track Thumbs Up/Down
They need more support. Why don't you become a member.
They are 300,000 strong and their mission is still working to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination. We need more young people of color to join in that mission. We need some 21 century thinking.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

They are 300,000 strong and their mission is still working to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination. We need more young people of color to join in that mission. We need some 21 century thinking.

I might join.

What I gotta do?

Track Thumbs Up/Down
Very.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

7 days ago

I might join.

What I gotta do?

You can go to the website naacp.org for details. An annual membership is $30 and a lifetime membership is $750. I've been a Member since 2010. It's pretty good if you remain active and stay up on what's happening in the world.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

7 days ago

I might join.

What I gotta do?

7 days ago

You can go to the website naacp.org for details. An annual membership is $30 and a lifetime membership is $750. I've been a Member since 2010. It's pretty good if you remain active and stay up on what's happening in the world.

hmmmm

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

i've long thought they've outlived their purpose and have been impotent for some years, especially dropping the ball on homos of color whose plight and dire social, medical and political needs have largely been ignored even though it's clearly one of if not THE civil rights issues of modern times.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/19/529169100/naacp-is-looking-for-new-president-retooling-entire-organization

The NAACP, America's oldest civil rights group, is replacing its president, Cornell William Brooks, and planning a "transformational retooling," according to the group's board of directors.

Brooks, who has been the president of the NAACP for three years, will not be retained once his contract is up at the end of June, the chairman and vice chair of the board of directors say.

The NAACP says the change is part of "an organization-wide refresh."

You homos of color stop sticking your wieners in animals and other men and all your dire needs will be met. LEave them drugs alone and your dire needs are met. You go drown in a tub of hot water and all your needs will be met. Nothing is relevant to you if its not on bgc

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

7 days ago

I might join.

What I gotta do?

You can join on line or look up if there a office in your area.
They have different levels of membership. I think​ you can join with a donation round 20 to 30 dollar. But the NAACP is the oldest civil rights organization in the country. They need donations and volunteers to organize mobilize and do research to determine what barriers are there and how best to remove them. We are still in a struggle as people of color in this country and the NAACP have been on the front line of the fight for over 100 years.
I been a member since 2008, did some volunteer work helping black families navigate the insurance and FEMA process after hurricane Sandy and I've been helping people in similar situations since.

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I will venture forth looking at it again. Many of the people I've had some brief interactions with made me wonder what relevance it has especially when folks I've met representing the organization were mostly a bunch of deranged individuals whom are disorganized and Nigrahfide! Also, there seemed to be some folks trying to bring in a particular culture into it and as per usual, taking things over and making a bigger mess where black folks are again booted out and not let in. That kind of madness came in right at the height of the climate change between Black folks and Latinos/Hispanics!

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I must admit, I became leary of the NAACP since the days of Benjamin Chavis, and haven't given them much thought. Maybe it's time for another look..

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

.. .
...... OOOMMMGGGG lol

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

7 days ago

.. .
...... OOOMMMGGGG lol

Track Thumbs Up/Down
I have to check, but I think I am still a contributing member. I think they get $10 per month from my checking account. They do good work. Good to hear about the new vision.

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

I have to check, but I think I am still a contributing member. I think they get $10 per month from my checking account. They do good work. Good to hear about the new vision.

what exactly do they do these days, or recently? Neutral

Track Thumbs Up/Down

7 days ago

7 days ago

what exactly do they do these days, or recently? Neutral

This is the contents of the latest email I got from them a couple months ago:

NAACP LDF Defend Educate Empower

ACTION ALERT

Case Debriefing: Terrebonne Parish Branch NAACP, et al. v. Jindal, et al.

Hear Senior Counsel Leah Aden discuss the Terrebonne case.

"Louisiana must open the political process and provide avenues for equal voting and participation for all of its citizens." - LDF Senior Counsel Leah Aden

Hear Senior Counsel Leah Aden discuss the Terrebonne case.

Watch now

Dear Supporter,

Contrary to the administration's unsubstantiated claims about voter fraud, voter suppression is the real threat to our democracy. LDF continues its decades-long fight to protect voting rights and ensure equal political participation for all Americans.

This week, LDF returned to court on behalf of African-American residents of Terrebonne Parish in Louisiana – this time, seeking to create a judicial district that better represents and reflects the Black and other minority residents of the parish.

LDF's original lawsuit, filed in 2014, alleges that Terrebonne Parish's system of selecting judges violates the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Terrebonne Parish has used at-large voting to maintain a racially segregated 32nd Judicial District Court (JDC). This case raises fundamental legal questions about the equality of opportunity for Black residents in Terrebonne to participate in the democratic process.

Although Black residents comprise 20 percent of Terrebonne Parish's population; are geographically concentrated within the Parish; and, consistently vote together to attempt to elect candidates of their choice, no Black candidate facing a challenger has ever been elected to the 32nd JDC under the at-large system of election. LDF client, Reverend Vincent Fusilier Sr., passionately remarked that he could not understand, "deep in his heart," how Terrebonne Parish and the state of Louisiana refused to create a majority-Black district for the 32nd JDC, despite the fact that numerous Louisiana courts have them and have had them for 30 years.

LDF Senior Counsel, Leah Aden, made strong opening arguments on Monday. She noted: "This lawsuit is not a new fight. The Plaintiffs in this case and others before them have fought for nearly 30 years to have the right to elect candidates of their choice to the bench in Terrebonne Parish. They have repeatedly been turned away or unaided in this fight by local officials and the Legislature, as well as the Governor and Attorney General, who are the Defendants."

LDF's lead client and President of the Terrebonne Parish Branch NAACP, Jerome Boykin, gave powerful testimony about the history and ongoing reality of racial discrimination in almost every aspect of life in Terrebonne. LDF Assistant Counsel, Victorien Wu, also did a superb job of presenting the testimony of Dr. Richard Engstrom, an expert in racially polarized voting.

LDF was joined by attorneys from Cozen O'Connor and cooperating attorney, Ronald Wilson, on behalf of the Plaintiffs. The court also heard testimony from various experts and community members – including a demographer and a Black school board member – all who convincingly testified that Black voters in Terrebonne lack an equal opportunity to elect their preferred candidate.

Terrebonne is just one example of how discriminatory systems of voting can silence communities of color – and why LDF is determined to remain vigilant against voter suppression. The trial comes to an end today. We look forward to updating you on this case.

Sherrilyn A. Ifill
With you in struggle,

President and Director-Counsel
First Page 1 Last Page 

Forum Index -> All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1
Stop watching this topic

Jump to:   

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum